Tuesday, May 20, 2014

On Poetry- Form or Free

On Poetry- Form or Free

Poetry is an interesting topic for me. I admit, I'm no expert. I only started writing poetry with the intent to actually write something worth reading a couple of years ago, and most of it has been free form. Most people say poetry is about rhythm an rhyme schemes, hyperbole and other things that are hard to spell. Not to mention all those rules and forms you've got to sort through. Though, what I wonder is why?

Is a poem still a poem if it does not rhyme? Is a poem still a poem if it has no imagery? Is a poem still a poem if it has no real structure?

A poem
is but
a story
but with
white space.

That was a poem. I just wrote it on the spot. It counts. Why? Because it has lines that are split where it sounds... like a poem... And it sounds... like a poem. It leaves empty space...It... It...

Exactly.

My definition of a poem is words that convey something. It could be an image, a feeling, an idea. But they convey something.

This means you could write an entire poem without  using a single adjective.

The sun
burns.
Lemonade
perspires.
It waits
with a girl
who is missing
a tooth.
Her sign
asks for
a quarter.

Or an entire poem using just one word. I believe Shel Silverstein did one called The Eraser. (Two words, but that's alright.) I can't seem to find Where the Sidewalk Ends right now, though I know I have it around here somewhere. But I believe it went like this:

"The Eraser
The Erase
The Eras
The Era
The Er
The E
The
Th
T "

If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me! But I believe that's what it said.

In any case, my point is, is that you don't have to follow strict rules to be a poet. You just have to have an idea. It may be as complex as a new approach to quantum theory or -god forbid- a new take on life itself. Or it could be as simple as the eraser at the end of your pencil.

A poem
is but
a story
with white space.

It is no
rabid dog.
It does not
bite.

If you treat
a poem
like a dog
on a leash,

it will never
do what
you
wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment